My original plan was a sort of off-white shade, but when I got the undercoat on, I spotted a problem with this.
Far too anaemic for a room with white walls. Then I remembered the tester pots that I'd been using to paint some plant pots. There was half left, so I decided on blue.
Much better! I went back for another couple of pots and of course bought the wrong shade. Never mind, there was enough in the pots to cover the whole bookcase with a good coat. I should add that being wholly incapable of Doing Things Properly, I was using emulsion. Yes, that matt stuff that's designed for walls. No matter, in my collection of spray paints, I had a can of 'clear', so I used that as a varnish layer on the top.
I hereby declare that I love my new-look shelves!