Thursday 6 December 2012

Crochet and the space-time continuum

I've gotten to *that* point with the ripple blanket. The bit where I keep plugging away at the rows but no matter how many I do, I still have only half a blanket. I've been here before. Every blanket I've ever made has involved a week or two of endless crochet and seemingly no growth.  Do knitters have this? Or is it just crochet which bends the laws of space and time in this way? Here's the ripple at the moment:


I'm on an enforced pause so that the universe can go about its business in its usual linear format because I have run out of yarn. I know. Sensible people buy all the yarn for a project at the beginning so that it's all the same dyelot etc. etc. I'm not too worried about the dyelot thing. I get four rows out of each 50g ball, so I don't have to join a colour mid way through and if one stripe fades a bit more or seems a shade different than another of the same colour, I don't think it will make much difference in this project.


Not buying all the yarn at the start though does leave you open to one particular problem: the green I am using is now discontinued. Because I started using the yarn from the stash, I have struggled to find more of it. Thankfully I found 10 balls on ebay. Phew!

While I wait for yarn to arrive, I'll be keeping myself busy sewing in all those ends. I hate sewing in ends.

6 comments:

  1. I have experienced the space-time continuum disruption with a sweater... I knit and knit for what I believe was months and did not see measurable changes. ;-)

    In my opinion, that looks like a lot more than half-a-blanket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not alone. It's one of those funny things, however much people tell you you're nearly there, you just can't see it yourself!

      Delete
  2. I have just started knitting again after a 20 year break and it seems to take for ever. Mi LOVE the blanket, I wish I had the patience

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a terrible knitter and part of my problem with it is how long it takes. Crochet is definitely the yarn craft of choice for those with limited patience :) Until you get stuck in the middle of a blanket...

      Delete
  3. Blanket is getting BIG, Claire :) I've gotten behind on my blog reading lately but am up to date pretty soon. Oh, there's a really easy way to handle the yarn ends as you go. I'm gonna link to it, at about 13 minutes in, almost the end of the video.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MumA4_lEiGs

    I use this method always. Happy hooking!

    ReplyDelete