Monday 30 April 2012

Square children

There are just so many cute crochet projects for children and babies that I really can't help myself.  I have a little stash of patterns and whenever friends announce that they are expecting, I get a bit excited about impending crochet fun.  That being said, they usually wind up with a blanket of my own devising.  I cannot follow a  commercial crochet pattern.  I just can't.

I realise this is a silly state of affairs for someone who's been able to crochet for about 25 years.  How, in all that time, have I not used a pattern?  Simple: my mother can't use one either and she taught me.  We both make things by eye (although interestingly, we can both follow dressmaking patterns no problem).  Anyway, I have decided that enough is enough.  It is time to put this gremlin to bed once and for all and conquer a crochet pattern.  As I have a friend due to hatch a the end of June, I also have a perfect opportunity, so I have decided to have a crack at this:

King Cole pattern #3476.  I'm making the hooded jacket in size 0-3 mths
I should come clean and admit that I am not using the recommended yarn.  It calls for a DK yarn, I'm using aran.  In my defence, the colours are nicer.  So far, I've done the back and the two front panels:

Aren't babies surprisingly square?
I'm not convinced it's going too well.  According to the pattern photo, the front pieces meet without an overlap.  They are also edged in DC.  The pieces I have already overlap without the edging. I'm pretty sure my gauge hasn't changed though.  I'm intending to go back and redo the back panel as I want the green border at the bottom all the way round.  The best thing about baby clothes is that they are small, so I can always frog it and start again without wasting too much work.  I am intending to block it before I start putting all the bits together, but at the moment, that back panel measures 9" x 9.5".  What do people think? Does it look unfeasibly square/unbaby-shaped/just plain wrong?

On the plus side, the stitch used is really quite a nice one - crossed trebles - easy to do and very effective.  It gives the fabric a wonderfully squidgey, nobbley texture.



If there are any seasoned baby clothes-makers among my readers, I'd really appreciate any comments/instructions/suggestions!

1 comment:

  1. I have many years less experience than you, but it took me so long to get into crochet because I was trying to follow these patterns and I couldn't understand why everything I made was so boxy!! I eventually taught myself through making granny squares, and am looking to learn pattern making myself so that I can design some cute baby garments. Thanks for this article, I feel more confident after reading it!

    ReplyDelete