Tuesday 15 November 2011

Bookish

One of my greatest fears is that one day I'll have children who won't like books.  What will I do with them?  They'll have to learn to crochet.

Over a *very* long dinner with a friend the other night (bless the waiters in Cafe Rouge for not throwing us out), we got on to the subject of books, and then books that we read as children.  Since then, I haven't been able to stop thinking about and remembering stories that I read as a child, so I thought I'd compile a list of the ones that have stuck with me into adulthood.  If the list seems a bit short, it's because I keep forgetting them as fast I'm remembering them, so I'm going to keep coming back to this list.  A couple of them are children's books that I've come across as an adult, but that appeal to my inner child.  Feel free to add your own in the comments below, I'd love to see what you read as a child.

Famous Five - Enid Blyton
A Fish out of Water - Helen Palmer
Book of Bedtime Stories - Enid Blyton
Brer Rabbit (and co.) - Enid Blyton
The Soul Bird - Michal Snunit
The Velveteen Rabbit - Margery Williams
Funnybones - Janet & Allan Ahlberg
Meg & Mog - Helen Nicoll & Jan Pienkowski
The Sheep Pig - Dick King Smith
The Hodgeheg - Dick King Smith
The Chronicles of Narnia - C.S. Lewis
Dogger - Shirley Hughes
Tom's Midnight Garden - Philippa Pearce
Goodnight Mr Tom - Michelle Magorian
The Twits - Roald Dahl
The Witches - Roald Dahl
Spot the Dog - Eric Hill
The Village with Three Corners - Sheila McCullagh
We're going on a Bear Hunt - Michael Rosen
Guess How Much I Love You - Sam McBratney
Dear Zoo - Rod Campbell
The Tiger Who Came to Tea - Judith Kerr
The Magic Faraway Tree - Enid Blyton
Mog - Judith Kerr
The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Graham
Watership Down - Richard Adams
Paddington Bear - Michael Bond
The Snowman - Raymond Briggs
Miffy - Dick Bruna
Z for Zachariah - Robert C. O'Brien
Mrs Frisby and the Rats of Nimh - Robert C. O'Brien
The Owl who was Afraid of the Dark - Jill Tomlinson
The 'Choose your own Adventure' series
Rupert the Bear
Carrie's War - Nina Bawden
The 'Redwall' series -  Brian Jaques


No comments:

Post a Comment